Creamy Caramel Flan
- heavy saucepan
- round baking or souffle dish
- mixing bowl
- large baking pan
- ¾ cup sugar
- 8 oz packaged cream cheese softened
- 5 eggs
- 14 oz canned sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz canned evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and stir sugar until melted and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Quickly pour melted sugar into an ungreased 2-quart round baking or souffle dish, tilting to evenly coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place dish into a larger baking pan. Pour water into the larger pan to a depth of 1-inch.
- Bake at 350-degree F for 50-60 minutes unto the center is just set (mixture will giggle).
- Remove dish from larger pan to a wire rack; cool for one hour.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter.
- Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert dishes, spoon sauce over each serving.
Recipe originally from Taste of Home’s Best Holiday Recipes 2004, page 128.